NOW: THE VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD
OCTOBER 2011: I’ve been blogging for a little over a month now, and I must say, it has been a month to remember. I had no idea what to expect when I started this adventure so I guess I can’t say it has surpassed my expectations since I didn’t have any.
But I can say this: I’m completely bowled over by all the support and enthusiasm I have received from you. Your comments, emails and phone calls have reminded me why writing is so rewarding.
Here’s another reason why this first month has been so much fun:
The Versatile Blogger Award was recently bestowed upon me by two bloggers whose work I admire very much: Michele Bunn (MediaMichelle) who writes Crossing the Line (Learning to fly over the mainstream), and Harper Faulkner who writes All Write (It’s All About Writing). Both are wordsmiths who leave me thinking, laughing, and celebrating life’s quirky and poignant moments. You won’t be disappointed when you check out their blogs. Thanks to both of them for nominating me.
As part of this award I’m asked to share 7 things most people don’t know about me, so here it goes:
1) Whenever I’m terrified to start something new, I know it’s the right thing to do.
2) I’m much more likely to cry when somebody does something nice for me than when I’m sad.
3) I won the 2nd grade spelling bee. How’s that for random trivia?
4) Red Vines have a wicked hold on me…licorice, that is!
5) I’m in total awe of teachers. Growing up, I always thought I’d be one (at least when I wasn’t dreaming of being an artist), but now I know I’d make a HORRIBLE teacher.
6) I write in a journal every day, and have done so for years. One of the most meaningful things I do is jot down my Perfect Moment from each day. Oh geez, I know that sounds way too Oprah’ish, but it’s true. It’s usually just a quick one-liner I scribble on the side of each day’s entry–like today will probably be, “The smell of eucalyptus trees after the rain,” or “Made it through my spinning class without too much pain.” The reason I do this is to remind myself to be grateful for what each day brings. I could be having a perfectly crappy day in every way, but no matter what, there’s always a perfect moment. Could be as simple as, “When the golf ball shattered our car windshield on the way home from picking up Olivia from camp, thankfully nobody got shards of glass in their eyes.”
7) I am fiercely proud of and grateful for my three older brothers. Each is as different as can be and each makes me a better person.
My oldest brother, Mark, is a solid, spiritual, hard-working, electric guitar-playing, flyfishing, teddy bear who wells up at the drop of a hat. He walked me down the aisle (actually it was a trail) on my wedding day, and that’s something that will forever be etched in my memory. My middle brother, Tim, is the perfect mix of a Harley-riding, art-car driving, eccentric artist who’s stubborn, yet creative, fun-loving and fiercely protective of his peeps. I will never forget when I was a young kid playing street hockey with all the neighborhood boys and one of the kids started calling me names. Tim was right there ready to kick his ass. Scott is the youngest of the three and a bit of a wild card. He’s ridiculously smart, highly-caffeinated, athletic, and funny as hell. This guy can weave a tale, I tell you. Get him started on politics and be prepared to stay for the duration. My most recent reason to be proud of him is that after being in the newspaper industry for more than twenty years, he has chosen to go back to school to earn degrees for a second career. He’s in class with kids younger than his own son and he’s giving them all a serious run for their money–while still working full-time, I might add. Whoooyaaa for my three adorable brothers. Did I mention that I’m one proud and lucky sister?
Okay, so now you know a bundle of random stuff about me. Here’s the other rule of the award. I’m supposed to nominate 15 other bloggers for this award. Here’s a start, in no particular order. I’m so new to this blogging thing that I still have much to discover! If there’s a blog you know I should check out, please be sure to send me the link!
Nominees, now it’s your turn to do the same!